Inglinga

Inglinga

Monday 22 May 2023

Edel Project - Part Two



Carrying on from the last part I do think it important to grow our own food, since there is a likelihood of food shortages and even famines in the future. We cannot tell, but whatever the case there is nothing whatever to lose in growing food in the garden or on an allotment. My garden is not that big, but I can fill many areas with food-crops by growing some close together. A word of caution here, since with the idea of mass-production came the idea of close-cropping, and a long time ago William Cobbett warned of farmers doing this and getting far smaller yields because the crops were too close together. We should think on this point when growing, since in some cases growing close together has adverse effects - tomatoes are one of the things that can have problems here, since this can encourage blight to set in. 

I tried a new idea of a bed with squares, planting different crops in different squares; I saw no advantage to this and it did not produce any more crops so have dropped the idea this year. But, this may be due to my own circumstances, so don't be put off by new ideas - I always try them and see what happens. If they work fine, if not we have to try another way. I have increased my growing beds this year since my next-door neighbour had some wood he did not want and I got enough to create a new raised bed. The other bed I made by digging up a bit more of the lawn; I'm like to sit out in the summer so keep a small piece of lawn, and for the dog to lay on too. 

Brassicas have never been successful for me, especially cauliflower, which is one of the better tasting, of course. And no matter how I grow them under netting of a small poly-tunnel, the cabbage-white butterflies seem to find a way in and ravage the lot. This year I am going to try something different by growing just a few cabbage in planters - they can be put under the netting the same.

I grow quite a bit in containers, but this is really down to the individual, since it can cause problems in hot, dry summers when you have to go away for a while and cannot water them. This has to be weighed up in regard to individual circumstances. Using larger containers or wooden planters (better still) is the best way to go about this. Wooden planters are not that hard to make, and a couple of years ago my youngest son started making these and selling to the people he did gardening for. He has changed his type of work now so no longer does it, but some of the stuff he made was really good. 



This is Lemon Balm growing in an old container that would usually have been thrown away; makes refreshing tea in the summer, and sometimes I add this to mint tea. 




There is still seedlings in the mini greenhouse; I am going to sow a further supply of peas this year to try to get a second crop, since two of the sets I have sown are already growing pods. There is a 100-watt solar-panel on the top of this greenhouse (south-facing wall) which powers a 12-volt truck battery, from which all of the small electrical/electronic gear is recharged. You will notice the plastic markers for the seeds, which usually end up being mixed up or the 'permanent' ink comes off! Which is why it is best to learn to identify small seedlings if possible. For some unknown reason the tomatoes this year are CRAP! I did go to a garden centre to try to get plants but theirs were not that much bigger, so we shall have to be patient and wait for them to grow.




The poly-tunnel is ready for planting, but with the tomatoes being as they are, and the cucumbers no better either this is as yet 'barren-land'. I have a copper coil in this too, so we shall see what that brings. Usually, the tomatoes are by now about 6-7 inches tall, since they were sown back in early January; but they do grow later but will crop later too. The idea of sowing early is to produce early crops, since salad leaves are abundant this year, and I always each tomatoes with salads - as well as frying for breakfast. Last year I had 8 jars of green tomatoes which I pickled in brine - but not that keen on these even when fried. Will let them ripen this time. (They could be used in chutney I guess.)




In the foreground here is a plum tree that has never done well, and it does stop a lot of light when larger. I pruned it right back and it is shooting out again now, and will be getting another one this winter and keep in a pot - obviously seems to need a pollinator. 




There is an ash-tree in the front garden which was here before I moved in, some 25 years ago now. The grass has not been mown here but I do mow it regularly in early spring to get the grass-cuttings that are put on the garden and dug in or used as a mulch. Around the ornament are Garlic Chives, which I would strongly advise others not to plant in the garden, since they grow everywhere even in the grass. They are edible and the flowers can be eaten in a salad, but the statue here is a 'pissing-point' for Sam, so I don't really want to use these for eating. They will grow in pots, but even then I would take care, since they do seem to spread by seed - which goes everywhere as I say. Even the chap next door has a garden full of them now! 

I've even got peas growing on the front, next to the front porch; this is a hot area and they may thrive there, we shall see. I had to move a clump of bulbs to get space to try these, but they were shifted elsewhere and not wasted. To the right of the above photo (not clear) is a small bed of potatoes, where I cut part of the lawn away to plant them. They are somewhat under the Ash-Tree and this takes nutrients and water away which could be a problem - we shall see. 




In the above video we can see how the Chinese Tyrants treat those who grow their own food, seeking some independence from the State Monster, but also perhaps because they have to do so to live. This is why I have always felt the need to make different plans for different situations, and not rely upon one set plan. This is a Global Agenda, and we shall at some time in the future have this happen here in England. This is where survivalism also comes into the picture, since settled communities are just one option, and one that could have problems in the future. There are things we can do, but these need discussion face-to-face so that they are not broadcast to the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment