He (Gurdjieff) said that from time to time from another world - 'from above' - a Sacred Individual is incarnated in human form with a very high and special mission, the working of which is not visible in this world and which can only be perceived by the disciples or companions who are specially prepared. This mission is not performed in this world except in so far as the being who is engaged in it is incarnated in human form. A certain possibility is introduced from a realm where the impossible doesn't exist. It is something new which doesn't belong to the cause and effect of this world, and therefore changes the whole situation. The doing of this and how it is done is unseen; but in general, it is then necessary that something should be seen, manifested, so that the particular new thing should be able to operate in the visible world amongst people with ordinary perceptions. It is to fulfil that second part of the mission that the Sacred Image is created and this Sacred Image has unlimited power in it, because its source is beyond the existing world. That Sacred Image we see as the founder of a new religion, as a prophet, or as an incarnation of God, who introduces a new Hope into the life of man.'
Gurdjieff is telling us here that a Sacred Individual is incarnated in human form, coming from 'another world' - 'from above', i.e. from a Higher World, the World of the Gods. We are told the following about this Avatar -
- His Divine Mission can only be understood by his disciples or followers, who have been specially prepared for this mission.
- This mission is really performed in the 'Other-World' because it is 'not visible in this world', i.e. this is being played out in the Other-World, and is thus performed in this physical world where it is reflected.
- This is something entirely new to this world and does not belong to the 'cause and effect' of this world, because it works outside the laws of the physical world. It thus creates a great change.
- Since the workings are done in the Other-World something has to be manifested in order that people with 'ordinary perceptions' can see it being done. Thus, a Sacred Image is created, and this has unlimited power because its source is from a Higher World.
- This can be a Sacred Image (Symbol), the founder of a new religion, a seer or prophet, or it can be an Incarnation of a God who brings a New Hope into the physical world.